We are seeking a lab-based research associate III or senior research associate to be a key member of our in-vitro pharmacology group at Kallyope. This person will design, qualify, and execute biochemical assays for target-based, drug discovery programs. The effects of compounds in these assays will generate structure-activity relationships critical to guide optimization of lead series by medicinal chemists and to determine molecular mechanisms of action.
- Communicate effectively to understand the needs of various program teams in the company
- Develop biochemical assays according to program needs and company-wide priorities
- Optimize, validate, and troubleshoot assay for robustness, sensitivity, and reproducibility
- Oversee recombinant protein production and characterization performed at CROs
- Generate SAR-driving data for lead optimization programs
- Monitor assay data quality and ensure assay data is distributed in a clear and timely manner
- Design MOA studies necessary to understand molecular details for the activity of key lead series
QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
You must have:
- M.S. with relevant experience or B.S. with extensive experience in pharma/biotech drug discovery; at least 3-5 years industry experience highly preferred
- Broad knowledge of enzyme targets, including kinetics of multi-substrate enzymes
- Diversified technical expertise in biochemical assay development
- Demonstrated understanding of quality parameters in assay development and optimization
- Deep understanding of methods to determine mechanism of action for small molecule activators/inhibitors of enzyme activity
- Experience working with automated liquid handling systems
- Commitment to detailed work planning and data organization
- Ability to be organized and productive within an environment of rapidly changing priorities
Additional preferred experience includes:
- Automated data handling “from plate reader to dose-response curves” is highly desirable
- Experience with biophysical assays
- Working knowledge of ion channel assays
- Familiarity with GPCR pharmacology
Kallyope is a new biotechnology company headquartered in New York City. Founded by Richard Axel, Tom Maniatis, and Charles Zuker from Columbia University, Kallyope is focused on the identification of new therapeutic and nutritional opportunities involving the gut and gut-brain axis. The Company leverages the founders’ formidable expertise in molecular biology, neuroscience, and behavior to identify new approaches to human health.
Kallyope is seeking creative, highly motivated individuals who are interested in working in a biotech environment that is scientifically stimulating, highly collaborative, and laser focused on translational biology. The Company is creating an industry-leading platform employing cutting edge technologies including sequencing, genetics, circuit mapping, neural imaging and bioinformatics. By integrating and applying complementary tools and approaches to the understanding of gut and gut-brain biology, Kallyope aims to develop transformational therapeutics and consumer products to improve human health and nutrition.
The Company is headquartered in the Alexandria Center® for Life Sciences, a state-of-the-art, collaborative life science campus in the heart of Manhattan, with close proximity to New York City’s world-leading clinical and research institutions. Kallyope has raised $252M in funding from several top-tier investors. The Company has assembled a leadership team and advisory group with a proven track record of success and strong expertise in drug discovery and translation. The founding scientific team is composed of highly creative and talented individuals with outstanding expertise in the Company’s core platform technologies. For more information, see www.kallyope.com.