Kallyope, a New York City-based biotechnology company, is seeking an experienced, creative, and self-motivated neuroscientist with expertise in metabolism to lead a team engaged in the discovery of novel targets, pathways and drugs that act within the gut-brain axis to treat metabolic, neurological and neuroinflammatory diseases. Reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer, the successful applicant will guide Kallyope’s neurometabolism strategy and oversee internal and external neurometabolism drug discovery from target identification through candidate nomination. The team employs cutting-edge techniques, including single cell sequencing, circuit-tracing, chemogenetics and behavioral phenotyping, and has access to fully equipped laboratories and an on-site vivarium. This is a unique opportunity to impact both the strategy and execution of multiple programs driven by Kallyope’s leading biology on the gut and gut-brain axis.
- Develop, continually refine, and execute the strategy for identifying and validating drug targets within the gut-brain axis for the treatment of metabolic disorders and neurological diseases.
- Oversee and facilitate ongoing drug discovery programs in multiple therapeutic areas related to metabolism and neurological diseases.
- Leverage state-of-the-art techniques to identify and validate new targets within the gut-brain axis with the potential to treat metabolic, neurological and neuroinflammatory diseases.
- Manage, mentor and facilitate career development for employees in the discovery teams.
- Identify and manage external academic and contract research organization (CRO) collaborations that can facilitate progression of Kallyope’s metabolism and neuroscience programs.
- Manage and prioritize internal and external (CRO) resources to drive decisions and meet goals and timelines.
- Interact with current and potential investors to present Kallyope’s vision and strategy in metabolism and neurological diseases areas.
- Collaborate effectively with other functions within Kallyope such as in vivo and in vitro pharmacology, sequencing, genetics and computational biology.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. degree in a biological field and at least 10 years of drug discovery experience in the relevant areas in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry OR 7-10 years of demonstrable success as an independent academic neuroscientist. Experience in metabolism, neurodegenerative disease and/or neuroimmunology is preferred.
- Demonstrated success in leading and progressing drug discovery or basic research projects from conception/target identification to clinical testing.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, prioritize resources and make crisp decisions.
- Familiarity with cutting-edge in vitro and in vivo neuroscience and pharmacology techniques
- Experience managing external collaborations.
- Track record of providing creative, inspirational leadership and management of Ph.D., M.S. and/or B.S. level personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative setting.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills as evidenced by a solid publication and presentation record.
- Ability to work onsite at the Kallyope laboratories at least 3 days/week.
Kallyope is a new biotechnology company headquartered in New York City. Founded by Richard Axel, Tom Maniatis, and Charles Zuker from Columbia University, Kallyope is focused on the identification of new therapeutic and nutritional opportunities involving the gut and gut-brain axis. The Company leverages the founders' formidable expertise in molecular biology, neuroscience, and behavior to identify new approaches to human health.
Kallyope is seeking creative, highly motivated individuals who are interested in working in a biotech environment that is scientifically stimulating, highly collaborative, and laser focused on translational biology. The Company is creating an industry-leading platform employing cutting edge technologies including sequencing, genetics, circuit mapping, neural imaging and bioinformatics. By integrating and applying complementary tools and approaches to the understanding of gut and gut-brain biology, Kallyope aims to develop transformational therapeutics and consumer products to improve human health and nutrition.
The Company is headquartered in the Alexandria Center® for Life Sciences, a state-of-the-art, collaborative life science campus in the heart of Manhattan, with close proximity to New York City's world-leading clinical and research institutions. Kallyope has raised $488M in funding from several top-tier investors. The Company has assembled a leadership team and advisory group with a proven track record of success and strong expertise in drug discovery and translation. The founding scientific team is composed of highly creative and talented individuals with outstanding expertise in the Company's core platform technologies. For more information, see www.kallyope.com.